Sunday, April 22, 2012

Simplicity Makes For Absolute Deliciousness With The 3 Musketeers Bar!


The Good: Tastes great, Inexpensive, No aftertaste
The Bad: Obviously not very healthy.
The Basics: The 3 Musketeers chocolate bar might well be the very best basic, mass-produced chocolate bar in the world.


Every now and then, I still have it in me to surprise my wife. We have been married for just over three years and this year was the first we were both in a position to give one another decent Easter baskets. Despite our dieting, my wife took me out to pick up some Easter candy for my basket and when she offered to get me a 3 Musketeers bar, she was surprised when I eagerly accepted her offer. I volunteered that I loved 3 Musketeers and she was actually even more surprised; in the three years, five months since we met, she had never seen me eat a 3 Musketeers bar and, as she archly observed, I did not have a review of them in my portfolio.

So, to rectify that, my amazing wife bought me a 3.28 oz. dual bar 3 Musketeers bar for Easter and this review shall serve to prove to her just how much I enjoy this type of candy!

Basics

3 Musketeers bars are a deceptively simple candy bar, designed to appeal to all consumers. The 3.28 ounce candy bars are wrapped in a silver, blue, red and white plastic wrapper, which theoretically prevents the chocolate inside from melting. The 3 Musketeers candy bar is smooth, save the top that has a crisscrossing pattern that makes it look like chocolate was drizzled atop it. This candy bar is a milk chocolate rectilinear candy that is remarkably nondescript. Each 3 Musketeers bar in the wrapper is about 3 3/16”" long and 1 1/4” wide. The bar is milk chocolate that surrounds a fluffy, almost marshmallow-like chocolate nougat.

Ease Of Preparation

These are candy bars that have been made by the fine folks at Mars Chocolates and as a result, preparing them is as easy as opening the wrapper and removing the bars. From there, one need only put the bars in your mouth one at a time, in bite-sized bites and chew! It does not need to be any more complicated than that! 3 Musketeers chocolate bars come ready-to-eat and require no preparation save removal from the wrapper.

Taste

Opening the 3 Musketeers bar’s wrapper, the smell of light milk chocolate caresses the nostrils. 3 Musketeer bars smell good. They smell like sunlit rooms on Easter morning. Seriously, that’s the thought I have when I first smell a 3 Musketeer bar. There is something concentrated about the chocolate aroma that does not make the scent seem like it is dark chocolate, but perfectly embodying a lot of chocolate in a small space that plays off the nose. It is enough to get one’s mouth we with anticipation!

Biting into a 3 Musketeers candy bar is a delightfully soft experience, like one’s teeth cutting through chocolate-coated cotton candy! As for the flavor, this is all milk chocolate and the center is a fluffy nougat that tastes like hot cocoa crystals. As the milk chocolate melts on the tongue, the cocoa flavor takes over to make for a very cocolatey flavor without the hard texture of chocolate.

3 Musketeer bars, astonishingly given how much they taste like cocoa powder, do not have a dry aftertaste.

Nutrition

Obviously, this is a candy bar and the folks at MARS do not intend for consumers to live on them. They are a snack and not a terribly nutritious one at that. A serving is considered one 47 gram candy bar. With the standard recommended serving size, the candy has 200 calories, only 60 of which are from fat! That's only 9% of the RDA of fat, with 20% of the RDA coming from the four grams of saturated fat! While there is 2% of the RDA of calcium and a single gram of protein, there is no denying that this candy is not good for you and one ought to use it as a dessert occasionally, not a meal ever. I was surprised this candy bar contained 5 mg of cholesterol, though I was pleased that it only had 85 mg of Sodium.

The lack of health benefits ought to be obvious from the ingredients list, which is led by milk chocolate, sugar and corn syrup. Rather nicely, this candy bar has nothing unpronounceable in it, which was a pleasant surprise. There is the standard warning about the candy possibly containing peanuts.

Storage/Clean-up

Just as with the preparation, 3 Musketeers bar chocolate bars are low stress when it comes to storage and cleanup. Storage is simple when the candy bars are kept in their wrapper at room temperature or cooler. Kept cool and out of direct sunlight, these confections have an indefinite shelf life (there is a production code, but no expiration date on my package).

The 3 Musketeers bar is still a very soft candy bar, so it might require you to wash your hands after eating it. Should one of these bars melt onto clothing one is wearing, consult a fabric guide for what removes chocolate and/or caramel from that type of garment. Otherwise, melted 3 Musketeers candy bar should wipe right off non-porous surfaces with a warm, wet cloth.

Overall

3 Musketeers bar chocolate bars might not be healthy for you, and I might have gone years since having my last one before the ones my wife bought me, but that was not from lack of love for them; just the opposite! This is a candy bar that is so soft and delicious that with infinite capital and no dietary restrictions, I probably would eat so many I’d put on all sorts of weight! Well worth picking up!

For other MARS/M&M’s candy reviews, please visit my reviews of:
Milky Way Simply Caramel
Chocolate Mint M&M's
Cherry Cordial M&M's

9/10

For other candy reviews, please visit my Chocolate Review Index Page for an organized listing of all the chocolate reviews I have written!

© 2012 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment