Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Conditioning, But Not Cleaning, VO5 2-In-1 Shampoo And Conditioner Disappoints


The Good: Inexpensive, Decent conditioning properties!
The Bad: Poorly cleans hair, No recognizable scent.
The Basics: Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner is a disappointing hair cleaner, but a decent conditioner.


In trying to save a little money, my wife and I picked up a few bottles of 2-in-1s in order to save time and money on separate shampoos and conditioners. Unfortunately, the first one I have tried is Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner. And it’s not great. While before I have reviewed a shampoo and conditioner 2-in-1 (here!), the VO5 2-in-1 is nowhere near as effective . . . or as expensive. Unfortunately, VO5 seems to be proving that the expense of bigger brand name 2-in-1s might yield a better product.

The fundamental problems with VO5's 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner are that it does not clean significantly or have a strong scent. I like products that produce a decent scent memory or trigger one that I already have. Alas, Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner is not ideal for that. After a month, my hair was noticeably more manageable than it was before, but it did not smell better, nor was it significantly cleaner.

Using Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner leaves hair with a fairly heavy residue and each time I used it, I had to go through washing my hair with it twice. The moisturizing properties of this conditioner are almost immediate. Within a week, I noticed my hair was more manageable as well as cleaner.

I tend to like shampoos that both clean and leave hair smelling good. The Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner did both poorly. The Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner has a mildly medicinal smell to it. The medicinal smell washes out after the conditioning is done and it leaves my hair without any scent in it.

Since I began washing my hair with the Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner, my hair has never gotten back to dry and cracking, as it was a few weeks ago when I was using just a shampoo.

With a cost of approximately $1.19 for a 15 fl. oz. bottle, Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner is comparatively inexpensive. The bottle is smooth and is more flat than round. When wet, it slips out of the hands easily. The cap has a flip-top that makes it very easy to get the shampoo/conditioner out with only one hand. As well, the large cap makes it even easier, though because the hole is still fairly small, there is no waste from the bottle.

Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner is a light blue, opaque shampoo/conditioner that is creamy and smooth. It has a nonwatery consistency and while it is not especially thick, it does not need to be watered down to get the most out of the product.

Like most hair care products, there is nothing mysterious to using this product. You wet your hair, lather it up, let it set for a few minutes and rinse. Most VO5 products I can get away with using about a quarter-sized drop and that is so with Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner. But while I quickly discovered that a quarter-sized dollop of the 2-in-1 in my hand easily lathered up to be able to work through all my hair, my hair never got clean on the first try; I always had to wash at least twice and for the duration of my using this 2-in-1. I have long hair and Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner lathered up incredibly to condition all of my hair.

As a shampoo, this has an excellent lather quality. It took very little to work it up to a lather and that lather spreads into the hair, but it cleans poorly. Indeed, with average usage, the product was one of the easiest shampoos I have used to spread through my hair. This required very little agitation to lather it properly, especially for the minimal effort.

This 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner rinses out incredibly easily, as well. When I am in a hurry and can only wash my hair, the Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner rinses out very quickly and leaves my hair conditioned, if not clean. Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner requires almost no effort to rinse out, making is a quick shampoo/conditioner to apply and rinse out.

Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner makes my hair feel heavy when it is still wet, and when I only wash it once with the 2-in-1. Once dry, the shampoo and conditioner lives up to its promise of moisturized, healthy-looking hair. Moreover, it does not dry out my hair, nor does it leave it with any greasy residue (when I wash with it twice).

While this is inexpensive, Alberto VO5 2 in 1 Shampoo & Conditioner Moisturizing does not clean well enough to recommend.

For other shampoo reviews, please check out my analysis of:
Suave Refreshing Waterfall Mint Shampoo
VO5 Kiwi Lime Shampoo
Bigelow Mentha Hair Mint Shampoo

3.5/10

For other health and beauty reviews, visit my Health And Beauty Review Index Page for an organized listing of the products I have reviewed!

© 2013 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment