Friday, September 21, 2012

Cleaning Teeth Very Well, But Not Leaving Them Feeling Like They Have Been Cleaned: Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon Toothpaste.


The Good: Keeps teeth wonderfully clean, Tastes good
The Bad: A little more expensive than many toothpastes, Does not leave teeth feeling fresh and clean.
The Basics: Powerful with its cleaning power, Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon nevertheless leaves the mouth feeling oddly unaltered after use.


As a young adult, I quickly learned how to use sales and mail-in rebates to my advantage. There was about a two year stretch when I was in high school that I did not pay for toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, and several other things because I used sales and mail-in rebates so efficiently. The toothpaste that I must have made out best with was Close-Up, which - after a childhood of minty toothpastes – I discovered I enjoyed for its bold cinnamon flavor. So, when I saw Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon toothpaste on the shelf of the store, I got excited. Close-Up did not have the most incredible cleaning power, even if I did enjoy its flavor. So, the opportunity to get flavor and cleaning power (as I assumed a Crest Pro-Health toothpaste would have) seemed like a good one for me to take.

As they say, you win some, you lose some. Objectively, my teeth are doing great because of Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon toothpaste. And the flavor is good. But, my mouth never feels like it is all that clean when I am done using this toothpaste.

I purchased the 6 oz. tube of Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon toothpaste a month ago, right before leaving for Michigan, and have been using it daily since. I brush first thing in the morning and right before bed at night (at least). Unfortunately, the Clean Cinnamon toothpaste does not really break up the morning scum mouth feeling, which usually compels me to use a mouthwash, a different toothpaste, or eat right away to get my mouth feeling good in the morning. This is a bit disappointing for a Crest toothpaste!

Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon is a highly enriched, active toothpaste. It comes in a classic tube design with a plastic flip-top lid at the top. The 6 oz. tube is made of a standard flexible plastic that tapers near the end with the nozzle. When the cap is flipped open, there is a hard plastic nozzle which directs the product out of the tube and onto one's toothbrush. Toothpaste is easily dispensed from this type tube by flattening the plastic tube from the bottom toward the top and this also allows the user to get the most out of it.

To use Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon, simply dispense a small amount onto the bristles of a toothbrush and bring the brush up to your mouth and spread the toothpaste over teeth using the brush. Then agitate the toothpaste into a foam to clean teeth entirely and expectorate the product (the process takes about a minute). Rinse mouth to remove any excess toothpaste and the process should be complete.

Despite not making my mouth feel fresh and clean, Crest Pro-Health Night is exceptional at what it does. The packaging promises that it will fight cavities, gingivitis, plaque, sensitivity, tartar, and freshen breath all while whitening teeth! To date, it does appear to live up on all of those fronts! I have not had any cavities since starting to use the Clean Cinnamon. The thing is, I didn't suddenly develop any cavities for the week where I used a toothbrush alone. In order to objectively test the effectiveness of any toothpaste, I’ll spend a week each year brushing with only water. In that week, I did not develop any problems (at least oral care problems!). However, I did notice a difference between my oral health between the week I used water alone and the weeks since, when I have used Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon. The reason for this is that Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon does so much.

Clean Cinnamon tastes lightly of cinnamon. In fact, the most precise comparison is that this toothpaste tastes like the aftertaste of cinnamon imperials candies for on cupcakes. After brushing with Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon, my breath improved, but the fresh clean feeling of the cinnamon toothpaste only lasts for about a minute after brushing! If you get a decent lather from the toothpaste agitation going, odds are it will not last even that long.

The Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon has a significant grit to it, so I can also see quite clearly how it removes plaque and tartar build-up from my teeth. The result is that Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon physically cleans my teeth as well as antiseptically cleans my teeth as well.

Whitening is often a sore spot for me because I usually see little difference between before and after shots of my teeth as far as whitening goes (and it’s not because they are blindingly white!). But with Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon, I have seen a much nicer sheen on my teeth. My teeth are brighter and whiter; what yellowing they possessed has diminished since I started using this toothpaste and that is quite something as far as I am concerned. I, alas, did not have any sensitivity prior to starting to use Clean Cinnamon Crest Pro-Health, so I cannot comment on how effectively this lives up to its promises on that front, though I do suspect it lives up because it performs so well on the other fronts.

I have, however, noticed that Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon is a bit more expensive than other toothpastes in Crest’s line and other toothpastes. I find one gets what one pays for with toothpastes, though, and in the case of Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon, this toothpaste seems to live up on all fronts (but the one) and it is the type of toothpaste that makes it matter less that I have not been to the dentist in over a decade! A good toothpaste will help maintain good dental health and Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon seems to do that quite nicely.

Crest Pro-Health Clean Cinnamon keeps teeth clean and strong, and it tastes all right while doing everything it does!

For other Crest toothpastes, please visit my reviews of:
Kid's Crest Sparkle Fun Cavity Protection Toothpaste
Pro-Health Night Clean Night Mint
Extra Whitening

7/10

For other health and beauty reviews, please visit my index page on the subject by clicking here!

© 2012 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment