Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Without A Strong Scent, L'Oreal Total Repair 5 Restoring Shampoo Does What It Promises!


The Good: Actually restores damaged hair, Cleans hair exceptionally well, Great lather!
The Bad: Expensive! No recognizable scent.
The Basics: L'Oreal Total Repair 5 Restoring Shampoo is an effective restorative shampoo that does what it promises with surprisingly little flair for a comparatively high price.


When it comes to hair care products, I like to try new things virtually every month, but I am not a huge fan of spending a lot of money on something that I literally wash down the drain. That said, sometimes, I like to see if premium products actually work and are worth the expense. It was that in mind that I picked up L'Oreal Total Repair 5 Restoring Shampoo. My hair was a little damaged from the elements and the change in weather and my wife found the L'Oreal Total Repair 5 Restoring Shampoo and thought that it would be a worthwhile way to heal my brittle hair.

L'Oreal Total Repair 5 Shampoo did all that it promised. My hair was noticeably cleaner, less dry and my hair was far less brittle after using the Total Repair 5 Resoring Shampoo for a month. This shampoo, on its own, always left my hair perfectly clean and far less oily than when I began. Given how brittle my hair was at the end of summer and how manageable my hair is now, the cleaning and restorative power of this shampoo cannot be denied.

I tend to like shampoos that both clean and leave hair smelling good. The L'Oreal Total Repair 5 shampoo did the former well, but the latter very poorly. After my first use of the shampoo, my hair was perfectly cleaned and smelled clean and neutral. I am a big fan of scents that remind me of other, pleasant, things, but the L'Oreal Total Repair 5 Restoring Shampoo does not leave a noticeable scent; it only leaves the hair clean.

On the plus side, the Total Repair 5 Shampoo lived up on its promise to rebuild damaged and weak hair as well. Since starting to use it a month ago, this shampoo has adequately protected it from further breakage. My hair does not have split ends and similar damage again since I started using the L'Oreal Total Repair 5 Restoring Shampoo.

With a cost of approximately $6.99 for a 12.6 fl. oz. bottle, L'Oreal Total Repair 5 is comparatively expensive. The bottle is smooth and is more flat than round. When wet, it slips out of the hands easily. The cap has a flip-top that makes it very easy to get the shampoo out with only one hand. As well, the large cap makes it even easier, though because the hole is comparatively small, there is no waste from the bottle.

The scent of L'Oreal Total Repair 5 is very much a chemical smell. The shampoo smells like an indistinct mix of cleansers without anything to recommend it for the aroma. The scent is strong in the bottle, but not in the shower. However, there is no scent left on the hair after the shampoo is washed out. There is no scent outside "shampoo" and it does not linger in the hair at all when one washes it out. As one who loves interesting smells – fruit or floral - one of my problems with L'Oreal Total Repair 5 is that it leaves no scent. I have discovered I enjoy shampoos that trigger a scent memory and the generic shampoo scent of this triggers nothing.

L'Oreal Total Repair 5 is a white, opaque shampoo that is creamy and smooth. It has a nonwatery consistency and while it is not especially thick, it does not need to be watered down to get the most out of the product.

Like most shampoos, there is nothing mysterious to using this product. You wet your hair, lather it up with this shampoo and rinse. Like most shampoos, I can get away with using about a quarter-sized drop and that is so with the L'Oreal Total Repair 5. The L'Oreal Total Repair 5 shampoo lathered up very well. This becomes one of the most foamy shampoos when lathered into the hair that I have ever used. That also helps it wash out exceptionally easily.

This shampoo has an excellent lather quality. It took almost nothing to work it up to a lather and that lather spreads into the hair and cleans amazingly. Indeed, with average usage, the product was one of the easiest shampoos I have used to spread through my hair. This required very little agitation to lather it properly and the results were spectacular, especially for the minimal effort.

This shampoo rinses out incredibly easily, as well. When I am in a hurry and can only wash my hair, the L'Oreal Total Repair 5 shampoo rinses out very quickly and leaves my hair very clean. Moreover, the shampoo alone leaves the hair without any scent, so there is nothing to rinse out. The L'Oreal Total Repair 5 required almost no effort to rinse it out, making is a quick shampoo to apply and rinse out.

When a product works this well, it is strange because there is actually so little to say about it. I don't like to spend a ton of time on my hair, but I like the results of a good shampoo or conditioner. The L'Oreal Total Repair 5 is a great shampoo, but one pays for the quality. Still, the repairing aspects of this shampoo cannot be understated.

The L'Oreal Total Repair 5 Restoring Shampoo does not make my hair feel heavy when it is still wet, and once dry, the shampoo lives up to its promise of moisturized, healthy-looking hair. Washing my hair as much as I do, I could end up with very dry hair, but the Total Repair 5 Shampoo eliminates any adverse affects to washing hair so much. Restoring my hair to cleanliness and preventing split ends is enough to recommend this shampoo, despite the price. Even without the conditioner, the L'Oreal Total Repair 5 Restoring Shampoo works well to make hair healthier and clean.

For other shampoo reviews, please check out my analysis of:
Shea Moisture Mongongo & Hemp Seed Oils High Porosity Moisture-Seal Shampoo w/Baobab Protein & Apple Cider Vinegar shampoo
Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Dry, Damaged Hair Fortifying Shampoo
Suave Professionals Black Raspberry + White Tea Shampoo

7/10

For other health and beauty reviews, visit my Health And Beauty Index Page for an organized listing of the products I have reviewed!

© 2016 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment