Friday, February 1, 2013

“Flesh And Blood, Part 2” Returns Star Trek: Voyager To The Franchise’s Philosophical Roots.


The Good: Great plot development, Philosophy, Decent acting
The Bad: Pacing issues, Nothing superlative on the acting front
The Basics: The Doctor is tempted to leave Voyager with the holographic freedom fighters in “Flesh And Blood, Part 2.”


The Star Trek franchise has an erratic history with two-part episodes. The penultimate two-parter of the series (not counting the double-long series finale) was “Flesh And Blood,” a two-part episode that upped the holographic rights debate on Star Trek: Voyager. Much like the arc for Lieutenant Data on Star Trek: The Next Generation where Data began to fight for his own rights and his existence, the Emergency Medical Hologram on Star Trek: Voyager has become more vital, self-aware and evolved over the course of the six years of the series up until this point.

In a gross bout of melodrama, “Flesh And Blood” (reviewed here!) concluded with the hologram Iden declaring that Janeway and Voyager’s crew was no better than the Hirogen. This seems incredibly hypocritical as “Flesh And Blood, Part 2” essentially begins with the photonic life forms attacking Voyager and abducting Torres. Ironically, when Janeway falls down on the philosophical end, the Hirogen engineer Donik argues passionately in favor of the holograms. Rather refreshingly, “Flesh And Blood, Part 2” opens as an engaging philosophical and action-oriented episode and it manages to live up to the potential of the first part.

With the Emergency Holographic Doctor willingly joining Iden and his freedom-fighting holograms, Voyager is incapacitated. With the main deflector dish destroyed and Torres almost killed, Iden abducts B’Elanna and leaves Voyager adrift. After the Doctor heals B’Elanna, he gives her the choice to stay with the holograms or leave and hearing their plight, she slowly becomes sympathetic to their cause. With Voyager following the Hirogen hunters to try to find the hologram ship with their lost officers, Janeway and Donik work to find a way to end the conflict without further bloodshed.

“Flesh And Blood, Part 2” is notable for being smarter and more contemplative than its predecessor. The fact that Torres is considerate of the holograms plight was established in the first part and that Kejal and the Doctor are able to play off her Maquis tendencies is a nice twist. Torres seems to have grown since “Nothing Human” (reviewed here!) where she did not want a holographic Cardassian working to save her life. She and Kejal slowly come to work together and forge an unlikely friendship. This “reads” in the episode much more like character growth than sloppy or neglectful writing.

The Doctor is given a slightly more problematic arc. He starts babbling about what he wants his role on Adara (the planet of holograms) to be and while it is fitting that he would want to take up an artistic role on the planet, the debate is quickly co-opted. “Flesh And Blood, Part 2” becomes slightly derivative of “Revulsion” (reviewed here!) as Iden devolves into a homicidal megalomaniac. As in that episode, the Doctor and Torres find themselves in the thrall of a demented hologram. That twist in the plot is a bit disappointing as it muddies the argument some.

Even so, human rights – in this case holographic rights – are for everyone; not just the rational members of the culture (or subculture) fighting for their rights. That level of complexity is seldom explored in civil rights arguments (at least on television). So, while Iden goes off the deep end, there is an argument that states that he ought to still have his rights, regardless of his mental health issues.

Iden is played well, with growing insinuations of his deluded nature by Jeff Yagher. His character takes an unfortunate character turn, but Yagher sells it well. His co-stars in “Flesh And Blood, Part 2” are hardly as convincing in their willingness to follow him. Far more convincing are the effects and the character and performance elements pertaining to Torres and Kejal (Roxann Dawson and Cindy Katz).

“Flesh And Blood, Part 2” is sufficiently complex to engage anyone who likes smart science fiction.

[Knowing that VHS is essentially a dead medium, it's worth looking into Star Trek: Voyager - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD, which is also a better economical choice than buying the VHS. Read my review of the final season here!
Thanks!]

For other works with Jeff Yagher, please visit my reviews of:
Mr. And Mrs. Smith
Six Feet Under - Season Four
V

7/10

For other Star Trek episode and movie reviews, please visit my Star Trek Review Index Page!

© 2013 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

4 comments:

  1. Hi !

    You're very generous I think giving a grade of 7 out of 10 for this episode. It's a good episode, I agree but I wouldn't have graded it that higher but the reason might be that I'm not too found off the Hirogen as a vilain to begin with. I think they are not that much different from the Klingons, I prefer the Borg.

    But it's true that this episode has his share of good moments. And the scene where B'Elanna starts to work with Kejal was a good surprise to me and proves how much her character has matured since the episode Nothing human (one of my favourites from Voyager) and a lot since the show began because she started as just a basic maquis girl for whom there was only black or white situations and she has grown to see different shades of grey and has obviously learned what tolerance and understanding means throughout her journey in Voyager.

    But the character of Iden annoyed me a lot here. So classic : someone who seems nice at the start who rapidly turns out to be evil. Star Trek has done that numerous times & Voyager especially, in more episodes that I can count (Alice, Dragon's teeth, Revulsion, etc.).

    And Robert Picardo has had the chance to show us what he’s really capable of as an actor more in episodes like Before and after or Someone to watch over me.

    But I think it’s very nice that someone like you is still commenting about what a great series Star Trek Voyager has been (it’s my favourite Star Trek series even though I like and have them all) but I think it’s sad that it is so much underrated. There are so many fans crazy about TOS, TNG and DS9 and not so much about Voyager but I think it has as much complexity, depth and great episodes as the other shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for your comment.

      I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the two-part "Flesh And Blood," but as I noted in the review of the first part, the Hirogen are a tough adversary to care about and believe they could be present in this area.

      Yeah, Iden is annoying.

      As for "Star Trek: Voyager" itself, I felt obligated to keep reviewing; I'm doing the entire franchise. I's not my favorite by any means, though; in fact, I only like "Star Trek: Enterprise" less!

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. You're welcome. Your blog is very nice to read. I've just discovered it recently and I'm glad I did. And I must admit, you've made a remarquable job. I wouldn't had the patience to review all those episodes even though I'm crazy about them.

    And when it comes to Star Trek, I'm not like all the other fans, trust me, I know. My favourite show is Voyager, then TNG, then TOS, then Enterprise (though I know almost everyone hates it) and finally my least favourite is DS9. Even though I really like them all, I find DS9 at times too dark and a little less enjoyable to watch with all the religion and terrorists non-sense. It was a little bit too much closer to reality for my taste. A very un-like Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future kind of show. At least, that's the way it see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny Daniel;

      The reasons you dislike DS9 are the reasons I love it! I hope you enjoy reading some of the other episode and movie reviews! I'm glad you found the blog (I'm always curious as to how people find the blog!).

      Please feel free to subscribe to be updated about new reviews and feel free to share the blog (by linking, not copying and pasting) to it; we'd love to have you and your friends as regular readers - especially for some of the more controversial opinions - if you haven't seen the argument on why "Requiem For Methuselah" is better than "City On The Edge Of Forever," check it out! It's one of my favorites and a very original article!

      Thanks again for reading and commenting!

      -W.L.

      Delete