Wednesday, August 1, 2012

One Can Review: Myah Clearly Loves Iams Proactive Health Lamb & Rice Premium Dog Food!


The Good: Myah loved it, Very nutritious
The Bad: Comparatively expensive, No dental benefits
The Basics: Myah clearly got a kick out of having Iams Lamb & Rice Premium dog food; too bad it’s far too expensive for me to feed it to her every day!


Even from afar, my wife is working very hard to keep our dog Myah very happy. So, when Facebook had a promo coupon for a free can of Iams dog food, she let me know about it right away. I, accordingly, got the coupon immediately and rushed out to cash it before anyone could prevent it from being redeemed. After all, I could never afford Iams dog food regularly. That was pretty much all I knew about Iams before I picked Myah up her free can. While Myah and I walked around the pet store, I read her the names of the canned Iams dog food and the only one she reacted to was when I said, “Lamb and Rice,” so I figured that was the one she wanted!

I opted to give Myah the can as her last food before her surgery and though Myah didn’t know that would be her last meal before the surgery, she wolfed it down as if she did know that. Myah loves variety, so it’s not much of a surprise that she eagerly ate the food, but what made it very clear that she had a preference for it was that I made chicken nuggets at the same time and she ignored them. Chicken nuggets are one of the human foods Myah absolutely loves and I have never cooked them up and her ignore them. She completely ignored them when I wrestled the Iams Ground Dinner with Lamb & Rice out of the can for her.

Iams One Lamb & Rice Premium is a dog food formulated for adult dogs and the serving sizes on the package vary from dogs ten to one hundred pounds. Myah's serving size was 2 cans, which is very expensive when one considers that a single can would have been $1.50/ea, and to feed Myah at $3.00/day would actually be quite a step up compared to her usual dry dog food. This is a comparatively expensive Iams dog food and is designed more to be an alternative to Science Diet than, for example, Old Roy. For a high end dog food, this is exceptionally good and outside how expensive it is, it has much to offer consumers and their pets.

The Lamb & Rice Premium food comes as a very thick paste, much like a can of refried beans. It took quite a bit for me to wrangle the food out of the can, though the top of the can comes off easily, as it has a flip-top lid that easily peels off. Inside, the food is so thick and ungreasy that it does not come out easily.

The Iams Ground Dinner with Lamb & Rice smells very mealy, surprisingly grainy and it was only as it broke apart coming into Myah’s bowl that it became clear that it had carrots in it! Otherwise, it looked like a brown food with little flecks of green spice in it. Myah licked her bowl absolutely clean after I put it in her bowl. When I cleaned the can out with a chicken nugget, she looked like she was getting a heavenly gift!

Despite the expense, it is easy to see why dog lovers would want to feed their dogs this. First, it does not smell bad at all, despite the mealy aroma. It is not very strong in the scent department. Second, this is a pretty nutritious dog food. The guaranteed analysis of it indicates that it has a minimum of 9% crude protein and 6% crude fat, but no more than 1% crude fiber and 78% moisture. There are Omega Fatty Acids.

As well, those who are concerned about what goes into their pets will be pleased by how close to natural this dog food is. The main ingredients are water sufficient for processing, chicken, and meat by-products. While the last half of the ingredient list is a chemistry riddle I can barely read, the primary ingredients are all recognizable and several are even human friendly! My point is that Iams Proactive Health Lamb & Rice dog food is one of the healthier alternatives for dogs and it is backed by a guarantee that I cannot cash in on because Myah was exceptionally satisfied with her can!

Because this is a soft dog food, there are no dental benefits to using this dog food. I like dog foods and snacks that help keep Myah’s teeth clean and strong.

In the end, Iams Proactive Health Lamb & Rice is a nice treat, but with the expense of it, I would recommend using it as a food supplement. Hopefully, as Myah’s last food before her surgery, she figured the Iams food was a real treat and made her more comfortable about the experience than anxious about it.

For other dog foods, please visit my reviews (with Myah's help!) of:
Rachael Ray Nutrish Real Chicken & Veggies Recipie
Purina One SmartBlend Lamb & Rice
Mixables Colorado Cookout

6.5/10

For other dog products, please be sure to visit my index page by clicking here!

© 2012 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment