Saturday, August 11, 2012

Absolutely Working For Myah. . . For A Few Days, Sergeant’s Flea & Tick Squeeze-On For Dogs Is A Great Way To Kill Cooties!


The Good: Instantly effective, Inexpensive
The Bad: Does not endure at all.
The Basics: Sergeant’s Flea & Tick Squeeze-On For Dogs actually works to kill fleas, almost instantly, but then quickly fizzles out becoming ineffective.


[Note: It is a very rare thing that I go back to rework one of my past reviews. And yet, when Myah had fleas and I used the Sergeant's Flea & Tick Squeeze-On For Dogs, I was so impressed with it that I went and reviewed it right away. Unfortunately, that led me to review it fast and I, alas, did not have the chance to realistically evaluate how it held up over the long term. It did not. Therefore, this has been heavily revised. Enjoy!
-W.L.
]

Despite what my veterinarian’s office claims, my beautiful girl Myah came home from the vet hospital with fleas. I don’t really blame the vet’s office; getting our beautiful, pure-bred Siberian Husky spayed was vastly less expensive than I anticipated (yea, social programs!) and I did leave her there for almost two full days. But, about two days after her surgery, I noticed poor Myah had a pretty nasty bite under her armpit and, lo and behold!, there were a few fleas I could find. But, the vet’s office says there was no possible way that she got them there and I had no way to absolutely prove it. So, I took what little money I had and I went to purchase some flea & tick medication. I was a little wary of picking up the Sergeant’s Flea & Tick Squeeze-On For Dogs for only one reason; it was so inexpensive compared to the Frontline my wife and I previously used on Myah, I could not believe that it would be effective against fleas and ticks.

And yet, it was . . . for about a week.

The Sergeant’s Flea & Tick Squeeze-On For Dogs comes in a three-pack and is advertised to kill fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, flea eggs, and flea larva. Myah had a small colony of fleas and (what I have been informed since) flea eggs on her armpit. I noticed the colony a week ago yesterday while grooming and inspecting her. Myah has been flea free for a week now. In less than twenty-four hours, Myah’s fleas were all gone and there was no sign of infestation anywhere on her. She stopped scratching as much and she even healed up (that probably has more to do with her not agitating herself than the actual medication!).

Sergeant’s Flea & Tick Squeeze-On For Dogs is very easy to use. Opening the box, I found three tubes of the medication. Myah, being a fifty pound Siberian Husky, uses the adult formula for dogs between 33 and 66 lbs. The three tubes of Sergeant’s Flea & Tick Squeeze-On For Dogs are heavier plastic cylinders attached to one another on a plastic card. This medicine requires a pair of scissors to properly dispense it.

Using Sergeant’s Flea & Tick Squeeze-On For Dogs is very easy. Simply prepare your dog – I recommend brushing the hair on the nape of the neck out prior to dispensing the Sergeant’s Flea & Tick Squeeze-On For Dogs medicine. Then, simply cut the top off the cylinder and squeeze the fluid inside onto the hair on the back of your dog’s neck. Myah did not even flinch when I dispensed the Sergeant’s Flea & Tick Squeeze-On For Dogs medicine in such a fashion. The medicine had no noticeable odor and Myah showed no reaction to the Sergeant’s Flea & Tick Squeeze-On For Dogs.

The fleas, however, did. Within a day of applying the Sergeant’s Flea & Tick Squeeze-On For Dogs to Myah’s skin, all of her fleas were dead and gone. Because Myah was just fixed, I have not been able to bathe her, but for the past week, she has shown no signs of irritation or of any fleas (wherever they came from!) returning.

However, on day eight, I noticed Myah scratching again. This Sergeant's medicine kills fleas, but it does not appear to poison the skin one expects flea medicine to. As a result, it becomes impossible to enthusiastically recommend. This is a great way to kill fleas, but to keep them off, one needs a stronger, better, product.

For other dog care products, be sure to check out my reviews of:
Flexi Freedom Large 110 lb. Leash
OurPet's Store-N-Feed Pet Feeder
Grreat Choice Dog Stain & Odor Remover

5/10

For other pet products, be sure to visit my Pet Review Index Page for an organized listing!

© 2012 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment