Friday, July 13, 2012

I Enjoy Pecos Bill’s Teriyaki Beef Jerky, But I Think Myah Loves It More!


The Good: Taste good, Low calorie
The Bad: Expense, Exceptionally high in sodium!
The Basics: A good once-in-a-while meat treat, Pecos Bill’s Teriyaki Beef Jerky is a delicious treat for human and canine alike!


If I had enough money and heart that could stand it, I would probably eat Pecos Bill’s Teriyaki Beef Jerky every day. So would my dog, Myah, who has been going absolutely crazy since I opened my bag of the beef jerky ten minutes ago. She has had two pieces already (to my one) and when I tell her that it is far too expensive for me to use as a dog treat, she looks at me with her big, blue, Siberian Husky eyes with an expression that says, “I do not understand this money of which you speak, but may I please have another one of those delightful meat blobs that I can still smell from three feet away?” Damn, she’s cute. Three to one.

I found the 3 oz. pack on clearance for $2.49 (regularly $4.99!) tucked away at one of the local grocery stores and picked it up thinking that if I tried it and did not enjoy it, Myah could benefit. She is taking a much more proactive approach to the process. Despite how much I enjoyed this sodium-packed, flavorful, not-terribly-healthy snack, the expense and environmental impact from keeping the serving size so small makes it very hard to justify the expense (which, to be fair to Pecos Bill, is a value reduced by my canine companion!).

Basics

Pecos Bill’s is a manufacturer of meat products like jerky. The intent of the Pecos Bill’s beef jerky is for the meat snacks to be their own snack, not a component (in contrast to something like uncooked meat or pepperoni, which tend to be ingredients or garnish to other recipes).

Pecos Bill’s’s Teriyaki Beef Jerky is a processed meat product. The package I bought contained twenty pieces (plus a bunch of meat crumbs) that averaged 1” long by 1/2" wide and 1/8” thick. That is, supposedly, three full servings. The bag also has a packet of silica in it, so it is highly recommended one not shotgun a package of this jerky!

Ease Of Preparation

Pecos Bill’s Teriyaki Beef Jerky is a processed meat product, so basically, one opens bag and starts eating the pieces. This requires no refrigeration after opening, but given that Myah is barely letting me get through this review with the contents of the bag, I cannot imagine there would have been any left by the time I would go to the refrigerator with the bag!

Taste

The Pecos Bill’s Teriyaki Beef Jerky smells appropriately like teriyaki, salty and smoky in a way that is instantly inviting to anyone who likes seasoned meat.

Appropriately, the Teriyaki Beef Jerky has the salty, soy-sauce flavor one might expect with the slightly sweet kick to it that defines it as Teriyaki. Lingering on the tongue, the salty aspects of the flavor dissipate and the meaty, distinctly beef flavor of the jerky comes out, washing over the tongue in a very satisfying way. Despite the initial salty flavor, this beef jerky has a very sweet flavor to it and it does not leave a dry aftertaste in one’s mouth.

Nutrition

Pecos Bill’s Teriyaki Beef Jerky is a poor choice for balanced nutrition. A serving size is considered one ounce, but unless one is walking around with a scale, that is very hard to regulate. In the recommended serving, there are only 80 calories, 5 of which are from fat. This snack has only .5% of one's daily recommended saturated fat intake, but a whopping 33% of the RDA of sodium. On the plus side, it also has an excessive thirteen grams of protein.

This is not Gluten-free, but not marked as Kosher (I’m not sure why, the ingredient list does not indicate what might violate that diet). This meat snack is made primarily of beef, water, and sugar. That makes it mostly natural, but it does have plenty of preservatives that are not natural. The fact that sugar is so high on the ingredient list is unsurprising considering how addictive this meat treat is!

Storage/Cleanup

My package of Pecos Bill’s Teriyaki Beef Jerky was supposed to remain soft and tender until the 16th of November of this year, but there is no way that Myah will let that happen!

Teriyaki Beef Jerky are a meat product, so they are not going to stain or ruin anything unless it is a light or papery material, though this beef jerky is not even particularly greasy. Cleanup of nonporous surfaces is as easy as wiping them with a damp cloth.

Overall

Pecos Bill’s Teriyaki Beef Jerky is very good and it is addictive to eat, which might be why Myah is jonesing for more right now and I’m right there with her. Fortunately, neither of us can afford this at regular price or she would probably gorge herself (though she has been good about getting water after consuming some) and my heart would probably explode from consuming it. But as a once-in-a-while treat, especially when we travel, it will be hard not to pick up more Pecos Bill’s Teriyaki Beef Jerky if I ever see it on clearance again!

For other salty snacks reviews, please check out my takes on:
Hormel Turkey Pepperoni Stix
Yancy’s Fancy Steakhouse Onion Cheddar
Totino’s Pepperoni Pizza Chips

6/10

For other food and drink reviews, please visit my index page by clicking here!

© 2012 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment