Sunday, March 3, 2013

No Hook, But Quality Food: Wendy’s Restaurants


The Good:Tastes good, Quality ingredients
The Bad:Not as many locations as many fast food chains, Low nutritional value, Nothing superlative, Pricier than comparable fast food places.
The Basics: Good fast food, Wendy’s is a very basic burger joint that is not as prevalent as its lower-cost competitors.


It surprised me when I went through the various restaurants I have reviewed, I had never reviewed Wendy’s Restaurant. It is worth noting up front that I like the idea of Wendy’s Restaurant more than I like the execution. Wendy’s uses higher quality ingredients for its fast food, so it is not as inexpensive as other fast food restaurants. Also, there seldom seem to be Wendy’s around when I go looking for them. That said, they have pretty impressive chili and their Frosties are delicious!

Location

Wendy’s is a chain restaurant and they have achieved fair penetration of the United States. Wendy’s tends to be found as freestanding restaurants which I’ve noticed tend to have a very transparent look to them; the freestanding locations tend to trade on customers being able to look in through their mostly-glass walls to see people inside (presumably enjoying themselves).

Wendy’s locations tend to set themselves apart from most areas they are in by having red and yellow as its color scheme. Virtually every Wendy’s restaurant is equipped with hard plastic booths and a few tables which are purposely uncomfortable. Wendy’s, like most fast food restaurants, is a chain hoping to do business in volume and thus, they do not want customers getting too comfortable and lingering at the restaurant.

The redheaded girl symbol of Wendy’s restaurants is very familiar to people who eat out or travel a lot.

Waitstaff

Like most fast food chain restaurants, Wendy’s does not have traditional waitstaff. Instead, one places an order at a main counter, above which hangs the menu and their order is assembled by a team and the customer picks their food up further down the counter. Many of the Wendy’s restaurants I’ve gone to of late tend to have a younger staff. I’ve never had a bad customer service experience at a Wendy’s, though, and I think that is a mark in the chain’s favor.

Food

When it comes to food, I tend to go for what tastes good, mostly because I don’t care much about nutrition and I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’m going to die someday and I’d like to enjoy the time I do have. So, when it comes to Wendy’s the primary reason I go there is actually the frosties. The Frosty is a thick chocolate shake that is a fun diversion snack; not a thirst-quencher.

The basic food at Wendy’s is a hamburger and I enjoy the bacon cheeseburgers at the restaurant. The Wendy’s burgers are more moist than other fast food burgers and the cheese and bacon tastes fresh and real as opposed to mass-produced. I’ve noticed real hit or miss bacon quantity on the burgers, but the bacon is very good.

The real food I enjoy at Wendy’s is the chili. The chili is spicy, tomato-flavored and packed with beef, beans, and cheddar cheese. It is inexpensive, always hot and the flavor is not overwhelmed by breaking up crackers in it; which cannot be said of most fast food chili.

As for the fries, they were well-salted, but colder than I like.

Myah loved the chicken nuggets we got her!

Overall

Wendy’s is good, but more expensive than many other fast food restaurants and they have no real hook. Instead, they are a higher-quality alternative to the obvious fast food places that are much easier to find.

For other restaurants, be sure to check out my reviews of:
La Senorita
Red Lobster
Big Boy

4.5/10

For other restaurant reviews, please visit my Food Review Index Page for an ever-growing index of them!

© 2013 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment