Tuesday, August 22, 2017

How Much Would You Pay For An Empty Box? The Doctor Who T.A.R.D.I.S. Pop! Vinyl Is Fun!


The Good: Cute, Stable, Collectible value
The Bad: Essentially an accessory, No light or sound function to enhance it
The Basics: The Pop! Vinyl T.A.R.D.I.S. accessory is pretty necessary for anyone's Doctor Who Pop! Vinyl collection, but it is somewhat unimpressive on its own.


Now that my wife is a bona fide Whovian, I have been on the lookout for Doctor Who merchandise that she actually likes and wants around. Not long ago, I decided to take a chance and pick her up the Pop! Vinyl T.A.R.D.I.S. while at a convention. Neither my wife nor I are huge fans of the Funko Pop! Vinyl line (though she has a little collection of them now as I have stretched for gifts for her) and the T.A.R.D.I.S. was the first one that she showed any real interest in (though, to be fair, she has not seen the Ninth Doctor Pop! Vinyl in person). She politely accepted my gift of the T.A.R.D.I.S. Pop! Vinyl, but it did not become a gateway to further collecting for her.

The Pop! Vinyl T.A.R.D.I.S. accessory is a pretty basic recreation of The Doctor's iconic vehicle in a scale large enough to accommodate one big-headed Doctor Who Pop! vinyl figure.

Basics

The T.A.R.D.I.S. Pop! Vinyl figure is the blue police box vehicle with a door that can open. The vehicle measures 7 1/8" tall from the bottom of the base to the top of the light on the center, top, of the box. The T.A.R.D.I.S. vehicle is 4 1/2" long and 4 1/2" wide.

This toy is a very basic sculpt of the T.A.R.D.I.S. The T.A.R.D.I.S. Pop! Vinyl truly is just a police box - there is nothing on the inside that indicates anything reminiscent of the T.A.R.D.I.S. Like the T.A.R.D.I.S., though, the door opens inward, as opposed to being a pull-open like a proper police box. There is no bottom to the T.A.R.D.I.S. Pop! Vinyl vehicle, which allows consumers to place a figure right in it. The T.A.R.D.I.S. is sculpted with smooth sides, so it does not appear to be made of wood, like the T.A.R.D.I.S. camouflage appears.

The coloring of the T.A.R.D.I.S. Pop! Vinyl is monolithic blue and white. The sign on the front door and the police symbol on the door that opens are expertly painted on - they look silk-screened, but without any border or evidence of that process. The light on the top of the police box is made of clear plastic. The paint job on the lettering above the doors is crisp and clear, even if it is monotonal.

Accessories

The T.A.R.D.I.S. Pop! Vinyl vehicle is the police box on its own, without any flare. I was a little disappointed that this Pop! vinyl did not have any sort of light and/or sound feature. The light fixture on top of the T.A.R.D.I.S. could have been built to light up and it would have been easy enough for Funko to include a sound box that played the distinctive T.A.R.D.I.S. sound effect. Funko did neither; this is just the Pop! vinyl T.A.R.D.I.S. on its own without any flair or embellishments.

Playability

The Pop! Vinyl toy line was designed for collectors, not children. Despite that, the T.A.R.D.I.S. Pop! Vinyl figure has a little more playability than many other Pop! vinyls as its door opens and closes and it is big enough to house a single figure.

Collectibility

The T.A.R.D.I.S. is part of the Pop! Vinyl Television collection, which is a fairly expansive collection. The T.A.R.D.I.S. is number 227 in the Television collection and it seems to be fairly commonly available. It was not a limited edition, but it was not available with the common releases of the Doctor Who Pop! vinyls. The oversized one seem to be available at a different rate than the common, regular-sized ones, but not have any greater value to them.

Overview

The Pop! Vinyl T.A.R.D.I.S. toy is all right, but not at all extraordinary, which makes it a little less thrilling than most Doctor Who fans would want.

For other Doctor Who or Funko toys, please check out my reviews of:
12" Clockwork Man Doll
Sharknado Pop! Vinyl Figure
Boushh Star Wars Pop! Vinyl

5/10

For other toy reviews, please check out the Random Toy Review Index Page for an organized listing!

© 2017 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment