Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Protecting My iPod Touch (Since Before I Could Use It) Griffin Flexgrip Silicone Case.




The Good: Seems to work, Inexpensive enough
The Bad: I'm not wild about the color choices, Doesn't protect the iPod screen!
The Basics: A decent way to protect an iPod Touch - even in limited colors - the Flexgrip by Griffin cases prevent the iPod shell from getting scratched without inhibiting use.


As those who check into such things know, I once won an iPod Touch (click here for that review!) and when it arrived, I was quite thrilled about making it an addition to my gadgets (not just for reviewing, but for the shelf space-saving implications of being able to put my c.d. collection into deep storage!). The process, however, has been one headache after another as the iPod is not exactly a "plug and play" piece of equipment. Instead, when it first arrived, I began wrestling with the iPod Touch and I learned a lot, but I was frustrated most of the time. The first thing I had to do - as my partner told me after seeing me get fingerprints on the iPod Touch the first day - was to get a protector for the device. This fell on the heels of my reviewing a RIM Clear Snap On Cover for the Blackberry Curve for one of the promotions and given how friendly the staff at the store was when I did the testing for that, I went back with my partner and we outright bought the Flexgrip silicone case by Griffin.

Remember jelly shoes? The silicone case for the iPod Touch remind me of those. The cases are soft, supple and a molded to fit the outside of the iPod Touch. The Flexgrip I purchased was frosted and the frosted case is the closest to a clear case that is offered by Griffin in the Flexgrip line for the iPod Touch. Given how pleased I was with my new iPod Touch and the stainless steel look of it, I was initially disappointed in the fact that none of the covers from Griffin would keep it looking shiny and modern.

The Flexgrip cases are made of a soft rubber and are approximately 4 ½" long, 2 3/8" wide and ¼" thick. The cases are perfectly molded to the iPod touch and each one creates a protective barrier around the iPod Touch about a millimeter thick. Because the case is shaped specifically for the iPod Touch, it is shaped so users have access to the ports and the screen, as well as will still be able to use the physical buttons the iPod Touch possesses (most of the controls are on the touch screen, but there are still some physical buttons. As for the shape, the Flexgrip case is shaped like an iPod Touch (rectangular and generally flat). There are hard rubber buttons built into the case, one above the power button and one each on the left side over where the volume up and volume down buttons are on the iPod Touch. Because the rubber around them is so soft, this allows the buttons underneath to be pushed because the harder rubber on the button does not give when they are pushed. In other words, the case itself acts as an extension of the buttons needed to easily activate the iPod Touch.

The case is easy to use; one need only slide the iPod Touch into the case. The easiest way to do this is to slide the top into the top of the case then press the back against the back of the iPod Touch until one reaches the bottom. At the bottom edge, simply pull the bottom of the case over the bottom of the iPod so the lip on top covers everything but the screen. This is remarkably easy to do because the bottom side has a hole in it. Through that hole, users may plug in their headphones and the connector which connects the iPod Touch to their computer.

The Flexgrip case is open in the front and therefore does not cover the touchscreen of the iPod Touch. This means that users of this product still risk scratching the most expensive part of the iPod Touch. Most users of iPod products end up getting skins to protect the touchscreens and the fact that one will have to buy more than just this one case to adequately protect their mp3 player investment is a little disappointing. That said, the Flexgrip case is nice because it does not inhibit the use of the iPod Touch in any way. All of the buttons and touchscreen controls (and ports) are as usable and accessible as without using these soft cases.

As well the back and sides of the Flexgrip have hard plastic “treads” which prevent the protected iPod from slipping. As well, it is easier to hold in one’s hand because the added friction prevents the fingers from losing their grip on the device. Since I began using the Flexgrip case, my iPod Touch has shown no wear on the covered portions. In fact, the iPod Touch has remained intact when I have even dropped it a few inches (like onto a desk) and the treads on the Flexgrip case prevents the device from sliding when I have done that.

In short, this is a product that does exactly as it promises, even if it is not the most stylish way to protect an iPod Touch. This is one of the most affordable options, though, and it does no less than what it is supposed to.

For other product reviews associated with Apple iProducts, check out:
DLO Power Bug
Apple Clear Plastic Case For iPod Nano
OrionGadgets Synch and Charge USB Cable For iPad

6/10

For other electronics reviews, be sure to visit my index page by clicking here!

© 2010, 2009 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.



| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment