Sunday, April 7, 2013

Simple Perfection: The Outset B218 Stainless Steel Handheld Cheese Plane Works!


The Good: Quality craftsmanship, Remains sharp, Easy to clean, Comparatively inexpensive
The Bad: None that I can find!
The Basics: The Outset B218 Stainless Steel Handheld Cheese Plane is an exceptionally good, professional quality cheese plane worth buying!


The last time my (now ex-)wife and I went to visit my paternal grandmother in her nursing home in New York, we stopped in Cuba, New York because they had a number of cheese manufacturers there. While we were sampling cheeses, she suggested it was time I picked up a serious cheese plane for us. That was when we found the Outset B218 Stainless Steel Handheld Cheese Plane and it met my initial desires for a cheese plane: a solid handle/blade design (none of this welded together, plastic over metal crap for me!) and stainless steel (which fit my décor and desire for having a durable cheese cutter. Since we went on that trip, I’ve gotten a divorce, my grandmother died, and I moved hundreds of miles away from all the familiar New York State places I knew and loved, but I still have the Outset B218 Stainless Steel Handheld Cheese Plane and it is in virtually the same condition as when I originally purchased it.

I know of no higher compliment for the product than that.

I used my Outset B218 Stainless Steel Handheld Cheese Plane on average once a day and clean it as frequently (it’s the way to keep it sharp, sterile, and blemish-free!) and I’ve had it for at least six years now. Outset makes a quality product with the Outset B218 Stainless Steel Handheld Cheese Plane.

The Outset B218 Stainless Steel Handheld Cheese Plane is an 8 3/4" long stainless steel cheese plane with a 2 5/8” wide head and two sharp prongs at the tip of the otherwise rounded head. The grip is a smooth stainless steel oblate cylinder that is 3/4” wide and 4” long. The head has a slit 2” wide and that is where one is able to slice cheese using the cheese plane.

There is no special trick using the Outset B218 Stainless Steel Handheld Cheese Plane. Simply align the blade (the slit in the head) on the edge of a block of cheese (harder is better) and drag the plane back, through the cheese. That will allow the cheese plane to create a slice off the cheese block which will ride up the blade and out the top of the plane to the front of the head. Used properly, this cheese plane can both cut and present for serving beautifully uniform slices of cheese each and every time.

Cleaning the Outset B218 Stainless Steel Handheld Cheese Plane is simple. Hot water and an abrasive sponge will remove all of the cheese and grease from the surface of this plane. It is that simple.

In every way, the Outset B218 Stainless Steel Handheld Cheese Plane is a perfect kitchen tool. It is stylish enough to go on the table, functionally strong enough to endure in a professional kitchen and easy to clean. The Outset B218 Stainless Steel Handheld Cheese Plane is an heirloom-quality cheese plane and one well worth buying as it ought to last one their entire lifetime of loving cheeses!

For other kitchen product reviews, please check out my reviews of:
J.A. Henckels International Stainless Steel 8-Piece Steak Knife Set
Waechtersbach Fun Factory II 28-ounce Black Teapot
Rubbermaid FilterFresh Water Filtration Bottle

10/10

For other kitchen product reviews, please visit my Home And Garden Review Index Page for an organized listing!

© 2013 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment