Friday, November 14, 2014

Creative And Cleaning . . . But Not Leaving The Mouth Feeling Clean: Crest Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek Toothpaste Underwhelms!


The Good: Cleans teeth, Interesting flavor, Inexpensive
The Bad: Weak taste, Does not leave teeth feeling clean, Does not control tartar build-up
The Basics: Crest Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek does not freshen breath or leave the mouth feeling clean, making for a less impressive toothpaste than one might hope!


I am a huge fan of chocolate mint. The combination of dry, dark chocolate and cool mint has somehow become one of the ideal flavors I pursue whenever I have a choice. So, when Crest released its Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek toothpaste and my wife and I learned about it first online, it was the toothpaste we began instantly hunting. Living near the middle of nowhere, it took us a little while longer to get it than some markets, but for the last month, we have been using the Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek toothpaste and while it is a fun flavor, it is impossible to recommend.

The reason the Crest Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek flops, even with a lover of all things chocolate mint, is simple: the flavor is intriguing, but not refreshing. The toothpaste does an adequate job of cleaning teeth, but it does not leave the mouth feeling clean. As well, the Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek does not freshen breath significantly.

My wife and I purchased the 4.5 oz. tube of Crest Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek about a month ago and we have been using it steadily since. Interestingly, much of the time I find myself using products in conjunction with the Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek toothpaste. Because the toothpaste does not make me feel like my mouth is clean and fresh, I find I floss and use mouthwash more since I started brushing with the Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek.

Crest Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek is a very standard toothpaste. It comes in a classic tube design with a plastic top that unscrews from the tube. The 4.5 oz. tube is six inches long by two inches wide and it tapers near the end with the nozzle. When the cap is unscrewed, there is a hard plastic nozzle which directs the product out of the tube and onto one's toothbrush. Toothpaste is easily dispensed from this type tube by flattening the plastic tube from the bottom toward the top and this also allows the user to get the most out of it.

To use Crest Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek, simply dispense a small amount onto the bristles of a toothbrush and bring the brush up to your mouth and spread the toothpaste over teeth using the brush. Then agitate the toothpaste into a foam to clean teeth entirely and expectorate the product (the process takes about a minute). Rinse mouth to remove any excess toothpaste and theoretically, the process should be complete and your teeth ought to feel wonderful.

The problem with Crest Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek is that it works at what it claims to do, but it does not promise anything more than clean teeth. This is not a whitening toothpaste, nor a tartar control paste. I have not had any cavities since starting to use the Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek toothpaste. The thing is, I didn't suddenly develop any cavities for the week where I used a toothbrush alone, either. The Crest Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek is a remarkably ineffectual, mild product.

First, Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek does not significantly freshen breath. The paste tastes dry, then minty; the muted flavor translates to mediocre breath freshening properties. The taste of mint is in no way overwhelming; in combination with a toothbrush, it is enough to eliminate bad germs and most bad breath, but it does not replace the bad breath with minty breath. Moreover, the light chocolate flavor also fails to leave the mouth feeling clean. After brushing with Crest Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek, my mouth did not feel fresher and it did not leave me feeling any more confident about doing such basic things as kissing my wife.

I became utterly unimpressed with Crest Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek in that the results were remarkably similar to using just a toothbrush as when I used this toothpaste. My teeth felt as strong and clean in the week I used just a toothbrush as they did when I used Crest Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek! The toothbrush does the work of cleaning solid matter off teeth and out of the gumline, not the toothpaste and as a result, a weaker toothpaste like this one does not enhance the feeling that the teeth are cleaner and experience has shown it is not actually getting my teeth cleaner.

Compared to other toothpastes that either freshen breath or provide tartar control protection, Crest Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek is a dud. The toothpaste is so mild as to be ineffective and while other toothpastes might make the teeth, gums or tongue tingle from the active ingredients doing their work, Crest Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek is a muted toothpaste with cleaning power on par or below that of an empty toothbrush. The active ingredient is sodium fluoride and it should not be swallowed by children. I've noticed no effects (including feeling cleaner or like anything chemical is happening) by swallowing a discrete amount.

While I was excited about the Crest Be Adventurous Mint Chocolate Trek toothpaste, it does not have the cleaning power to impress or even live up to basic expectations one might have for a toothpaste these days.

For other Crest products, please visit my reviews of:
Pro-Health Fresh Mint Clinical Plaque Control toothpaste
Whitening Rinse
Cool Mint Gel Toothpaste

3.5/10

For other health and beauty reviews, please visit my index page on the subject by clicking here!

© 2014 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment