Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Faygo Crème Soda Is Not Bad, But Not Superlative!


The Good: Inexpensive, Does not taste bad
The Bad: Not the most distinctive cream soad flavor, No real nutritional benefits.
The Basics: Faygo Creme Soda is an inexpensive cream soda that is generically sweet and hardly distinctive.


When I bought the Soda Stream for my wife for her birthday, I almost instantly regretted it. I was out with my mother-in-law and my wife was talking about the Soda Stream – which she had not yet been given and had no idea I had picked it up for her forthcoming birthday – and my mother-in-law complained that Soda Stream’s soda pops all ended up tasting like Faygo. As for Faygo sodas, I realized I had not had any – though I did have a Faygo sparkling water (that’s reviewed here!) – so my wife and I decided to pick some up. We started with Faygo Crème Soda, because I love cream sodas and figured if there was any flavor I might be instantly drawn to it would be the Faygo Crème Soda. As it was, I’ve come to enjoy the Soda Stream drinks and they do not taste like Faygo, especially the Crème Soda.

Unfortunately, Faygo Crème Soda does not taste distinctly like vanilla, though it is only about a dollar for a 2 liter bottle!

Basics

Faygo Creme Soda is an inexpensive soda and my wife and I found it locally in the soda aisle without any issue. Each 2 liter plastic bottle houses the clear liquid, which is the actual soda. The bottles look like a pretty generic 2 liter of soda. There is nothing extraordinary about Faygo’s presentation of this soda.

The 2 liter bottle is about eight servings of Faygo Creme Soda and the 2 liters my wife and I bought bore that out.

Ease Of Preparation

Faygo Creme Soda is a liquid in a clear 2 liter bottle. Preparation is as easy as opening the bottle by popping the bottle cap off and drinking the liquid inside. I recommend refrigerating the bottle first as its full flavor potential is reached by having it cool.

Taste

Faygo Creme Soda smells like one would hope, as a strongly vanilla scent. There is a distinct vanilla bean scent emitted from this soda, especially when it is colder.

On the taste front, the Crème soda is light, only slightly sweet and it has a vague somewhat subtle hint of a flavor to it. The flavor is not nearly as dry as vanilla actually is, but the taste of this Crème Soda, while not terribly distinct, is not at all unpleasant. There was a slight fruity aftertaste to the Crème Soda, which only lasted about fifteen seconds, if that. Otherwise, this is a generically sugary soda pop that is hardly as robust or flavorful as most cream soda.

Nutrition

As a soda, one might expect this to have many unpronounceable ingredients. However, Faygo Creme Soda is made primarily of carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, and potassium benzoate. There are no unpronounceable ingredients in this and Faygo does not waste ingredients on coloring.

Nutritionally, Faygo Creme Soda is not enough to live off of and it is not actually good for the consumer. While it appears to be gluten free, Faygo Creme Soda has a whopping 28 grams of carbs. With 110 calories per eight ounce serving, it is unsurprising that there are 30 milligrams of sodium in this. Faygo Creme Soda has no fat, nor any other nutrients.

Storage/Clean-up

Faygo Creme Soda comes in a plastic bottle and there is no clear expiration date on the bottle. We bought it fresh and it had decent fizz to it, though it was not excessive. This drink is a clear beverage, so it will not stain. As well, the drink wipes off surfaces easily with a cloth, assuming they are impermeable.

Overall

Faygo Creme Soda is inexpensive and indistinct, but not at all bad. It might not taste like vanilla, which one expects from a cream soda, but it is not unpleasant on the taste front, making it a fair soda that is better than a generic cola.

For other soda pops, please check out my reviews of:
Virgil’s Black Cherry Cream Soda
Stewart’s Orange ‘N Cream Soda
Maine Root Ginger Brew

4/10

For other food and drink reviews, please visit my Food Review Index Page for a complete listing of all the foods I have reviewed!

© 2013 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment