Friday, October 8, 2010

Good Scent, Good Lather, Inexpensive: VO5's Blackberry Sage Tea Tea Therapy Revitalizing Shampoo Works!



The Good: Cleans very well, Wonderful scent, Inexpensive
The Bad: No conditioning properties, Scent does not endure exceptionally long
The Basics: A very average shampoo Blackberry Sage tea Tea Therapy tea is good, but not superlative.


Whomever said that shampoos had to be expensive to be worth buying and using was absolutely wrong. I am frequently reminded of that whenever I purchase an inexpensive shampoo and find myself absolutely loving it. Such is the case, with yet another VO5 Tea Therapy shampoo, this time the Blackberry Sage Tea flavor!

VO5 shampoos are part of an inexpensive line of hair care products that tend to be found for an average price of $1.00 per 15 oz. bottle in most markets in the United States. The bottles have recently been redesigned to be flatter instead of tapered, which makes them easier to hold when wet and I have only found Blackberry Sage Tea in the new bottles. Blackberry Sage Tea is a light purple translucent shampoo that has good viscosity and is very much the standard VO5 shampoo as far as consistency goes. The Blackberry Sage Tea shampoo comes with a flip-top cap for easy access to the shampoo with one hand while in the shower.

Blackberry Sage Tea is a shampoo, so there is no trick to using it. Simply place a dollop on your hand and rub it into your wet hair until it lathers up. Then rinse and repeat if necessary. I have long hair and I can get away with a quarter-sized dollop to clean my hair with most shampoos. Because the lather quality is so good, one suspects that it will last more than two months.

The Blackberry Sage Tea Shampoo does not claim to do anything other than clean hair, with the implication of improving hair's health. This Tea Therapy shampoo cleans, and after two weeks of usage, I have noticed my hair is more manageable. The shampoo I was using before this was very abrasive to my hair and this has nicely restored my hair. However, this shampoo did not have any conditioning properties, like healing split ends.

That said, in normal daily use, this was a good shampoo. It worked when I washed my hair only once per shower with the shampoo. As for that, this seems like the minimum a shampoo ought to do.

As far as the scent goes, Blackberry Sage Tea has a rich fruity scent. The scent is strong and smells berry-like, with no real scent of tea. Unfortunately, the scent does not endure for very long after the hair is dry and it leaves the hair only subtly scented (as in you have to bury your nose in it to smell fruit). I have smelled my hair moments after towel-drying my hair off and I cannot find the scent, which is unfortunate as I enjoy strongly scented shampoos! This scent has no enduring quality and truth be told now that I am no longer working in a terrible factory where my hair gets stripped each night of anything remotely good smelling, it's shocking to me how quickly the scent of this shampoo dissipates without being subjected to such harsh conditions! This shampoo does not provide the benefit of a scent-memory trigger afterward!

On the positive side, it does rinse out of my hair remarkably easily. This shampoo lathers up easily and washes out just as easily, which is nice.

In the end, Blackberry Sage Tea is a good, but not exceptional shampoo from VO5. It cleans hair and it does that in the most basic way. For one who tends to like shampoos that actually leave hair scented as well as clean, I would have wanted a little more scent to pair with the cleaning power of the shampoo.

For other shampoos, please check out my reviews of:
Suave Professionals Rosemary Mint Shampoo
Bigelow Mentha Hair Mint shampoo

6/10

For other hair products, please check out my index page!

© 2010 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment