Monday, July 17, 2017

Benny's First Proper Review! I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites Helps Him Train!


The Good: Healthy, Good ingredients, Wonderful aroma, Benny loves them!
The Bad: No real dental benefits, Comparatively expensive
The Basics: Benny enjoys the I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites as part of his training; they make a good, if expensive, reinforcement tool.


Just over two weeks ago, my wife and I took in a delightful new dog, a three or four year-old English Setter we've named Benny. Benny is picking up the slack left by Myah's death back in March. My wife has been training Benny pretty much non-stop since she got him and she very quickly found that he appeared to have issues with grain in his foods. As a result, she right away started looking for grain free treats for Benny. We have finally gotten to the point where Benny is no longer freaking out about everything and he has started to display preferences for various foods and treats we have been giving him. So, tonight, he is starting his reviewing with me! Benny's first treat he is endorsing are the I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites.

I pretty much hate the name "I And Love And You"- what the hell does that even mean?! - but it is hard to deny that the company makes treats that my dog loves. Benny has been willing to do uncommon (for him) tricks in order to be rewarded with even a single Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bite! The I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites are reminiscent of beef jerky. Given the lack of a dental benefit to the I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites, it is hard not to consider the I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites as very expensive for what they are. Benny, however, is not bound by my budgetary concerns, so he seems to like the I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites quite a bit.

Basics

The 4 oz bag of I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites is regularly about $6 online, which seemed pretty expensive to me, though I suppose that's a similar price for a similar quantity of human grade beef jerky. Each treat is approximately 1 1/4" long, 1" wide at the widest point and about 3/8" thick. These treats have a bit of variation in size and shape to them, though they are all about the same general proportion and are all rectangular.

The I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites dog treats are brown strips of meat. The strips are fairly hard, but each has some flexibility to them. The bags of I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites include a deoxidizer packet which should not be consumed by any animals!

Ease Of Preparation

The I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites are a fully prepared treat; one need only open the resealable bag and dispense a treat. For Benny's weight - as a full-grown English Setter - he should have only have a couple of treats a day. On average, he gets only two to four per day; the I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites are intended for dogs five or more pounds in weight.

Benny’s Reaction

Opening the bag of I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites reveals a treat that smells just like human grade beef jerky. Benny seems to recognize the scent and comes whenever the bag is opened. This is one of the few treats he is actually responsive to by smell so far!

Benny loves the I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites! He eagerly takes each Nice Jerky Bite from my hand whenever they are offered to him. Benny is still slowly gaining weight so he is able to be be satisfied by a single treat at a time.

The softer-than-some treats I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites have minimal dental benefits for dogs, especially big dogs like our English Setter. Because the snacks are so easy to eat, Benny seldom even chews them for more than five to ten seconds. It is hard to extol the dental benefits of something that is on the lips and teeth for only a few seconds.

Nutrition

The I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites dog treats are very healthy. With at least 27% crude protein, 19% crude fat and no more than 1% crude fiber and 22% moisture, the I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites offer decent nutrition to dogs. Made entirely of Chicken, Duck and glycerine, I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites are quite good for dogs. The Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites have a decent shelf life of several months, though it is hard to imagine active dogs allowing them to last that long. The I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites last for well over a year, which surprised me given how few preservatives are in the treats (ours had an expiration date of September 2018).

As with all dog treats, it is highly recommended that when you give your dog I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites, make sure they have a decent supply of clean water available. I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites treats are not intended to replace dog food.

Overall

Benny, admittedly, loves the I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites. Given the lack of a positive dental benefit to Benny, the I And Love And You Chicken + Duck Recipe Nice Jerky Bites are a tougher sell for me. They are a wonderful "once in a while" treat, but not an essential, must-stock-up on dog treat.

For other dog treats, be sure to check out my reviews of:
Purina Busy Chewnola Dog Snacks
Blue Dog Bakery Peanut Butter & Molasses Treats
Zuke's Clean Cherry Berry Z-Bones

7/10

For other pet products, be sure to visit my Pet Review Index Page for an organized listing!

© 2017 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment