Saturday, August 31, 2013

Exciting The Skin And The Nose: The Body Shop Pink Grapefruit Body Butter Works!


The Good: Good smell, Decent protectant/moisturizing properties, Feels great on the skin
The Bad: Pricy.
The Basics: An exciting body butter, Pink Grapefruit Body Butter smells great and moisturizes well for the price!


As the month comes to a close, I’m back with a whole new bevy of reviews! Having just finished my latest script, I am thrilled to return to blogging to review all sorts of movies, television shows and other products I have experienced in the interim. Today, that starts with an amazing product I’ve been using pretty constantly since I left to focus on my writing!

That product is Pink Grapefruit Body Butter from The Body Shop. Pink Grapefruit Body Butter is a wonderful-smelling product which does exactly what it promises in that it moisturizes skin and leaves it smelling great. In fact, this is such a good product that it almost overcomes the expense of the product!

Pink Grapefruit Body Butter from The Body Shop is designed for normal skin. I have normal skin, as it appears that it takes quite a bit for my skin to break out in hives or rashes and is generally well-moisturized. In fact, the driest skin on my body is in the obvious areas; feet, knees and elbows. Not usually inclined to use a product like this on a daily basis, it has been more of a lark for me having some available to me. I've been using it steadily on those three areas as well as my hands for general moisturizing and after a few days, the access to my wife’s body butter has left my feet perfectly well moisturized. My feet had been cracked and dry, but now the skin there is soft and supple.

As with other body butters, a body butter is a somewhat greasy, near-solid cream (like a pomade) that comes in a disc-like container (like shoe polish) that is designed to protect and/or moisturize skin. Unscrewing the top of the container gives the user ample access to the body butter and this is a very easy product to get out of its container and use. As well, this does seem to go rather far. I've used other containers for months and the last few days with Pink Grapefruit Body Butter has left not even a dent in the container. I feel good about that as these have been in the $20.00 range for a 6.75 oz. container, which makes it impossible for me to call this product cheap!

The Pink Grapefruit body butter smells like grapefruit. This is the energizing scent that one expects from anything pink grapefruit. The scent is tangy and recognizably citrusy. The aroma is strong and distinct, instantly recognizable to anyone who likes grapefruit. The scent effervesces well and remains on the skin for several minutes after use.

I have discovered the scent of pink grapefruit remains on the skin – everywhere but my feet - for about three hours. The scent remains clear and delicious-smelling for the duration of its presence on the skin. The smell never turns into anything generic and citrusy, so it remains strongly and rightly grapefruit. That is a nice change from many of the other body butters from The Body Shop.

Pink Grapefruit Body Butter actually works. This body butter does an excellent job of moisturizing skin that is dried out. As a married person, I have learned the importance of keeping my feet soft, so I was pleased to discover how well the Pink Grapefruit Body Butter softens the skin. This is an excellent moisturizer. The body butter moisturized and reinvigorated my skin on my feet, knees and elbows quite well. As well, given all of the typing I do, it was nice to have a moisturizer that kept my fingers and hands soft and supple.

But the cost, not the expense, seemed a bit high. This product goes on greasy and leaves a sensation of being coated. When I've applied it, I've felt coated (something I don't feel with, say Vaseline Intensive Care lotion). While there is no actual film left (I've tested with papers at various points after applying the product), I have a sensation that begs to differ with reality when using this body butter, at least for the first five minutes after application.

The body butter is recommended for maintaining skin moisture in addition to restoring skin to a normal moisture level when it has been dried out. So, for example, body butter is recommended for application after taking a shower (the body usually dehydrates some after acclimating to a long shower or bath) to keep moisture in the skin. Here, the purpose is self-defeating as the body butter makes one feel less clean after getting clean in the shower. Who lathers up in a slimy, greasy-feeling product in order to feel clean after scrubbing off dirt and grime? This Body Butter actually energizes the skin and invigorates the user much like a shower itself does!

I've also noticed that this particular body butter melts. I left it in my car - I took it on a day trip - and the light pink container heated up and melted the product. It resolidified when brought inside and left for a day in a cool, dark area, but it seems like this is a liability if it is being carried around by someone in a handbag or such. While this product is not recommended for areas like the lips, I discovered (by accident) that this has a very inoffensive taste. The flavor is more dry and buttery than the sweet it smells like. It is, however, a little sour.

Pink Grapefruit Body Butter from the Body Shop is a wonderful product and well worth the price and stocking up on!

For other The Body Shop body butters, please check out my reviews of:
Papaya Body Butter
Passion Fruit Body Butter
Strawberry Body Butter

8.5/10

For other health and beauty product reviews, please visit my Health And Beauty Product Index Page for an organized listing!

© 2013 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment