Saturday, September 1, 2012

Flavorful And True, Maine Root Blueberry Soda Is, Nevertheless, Tragically Overpriced!


The Good: Decent taste, Good carbonation level, Great ingredients, Decent nutrition
The Bad: Exceptionally expensive!
The Basics: Maine Root Blueberry Soda might be worth trying, but it is very expensive!


When I learned late last month that I would be moving from Upstate New York to the wilds of Michigan (though I am not in the Upper Peninsula, so I suppose there is always less convenience I could get!), one of the things that deeply concerned me was how I would be losing so many cool places nearby that had eclectic and interesting products for the food review section of my blog. I also was given the task of stopping in Ohio to try to find a very obscure beer that is only sold in three states (Floyds, for those who are keeping track). I intended to pick up their exclusive bubblegum flavored beer for my wife for our first toast once we moved into our new place. Alas and alack, I was unable to find her beer on the brief time I spent in Ohio. Fortunately, I had bought a whipped cream vodka locally before leaving as a contingency and she seemed to truly enjoy that. For myself, I picked up the Maine Root Blueberry Soda because, frankly, I knew that after the move I might never again have money to splurge on such things again!

Maine Root Blueberry Soda is a premium, handcrafted, fair trade certified soda that is sold in glass bottles from Maine Root. Back in New York, it was over seven dollars for a four-pack of bottles!

Basics

Maine Root Blueberry Soda is a bottled soda that is sold at grocery stores and specialty stores and does not seem to be well-known in the marketplace yet. Each 12 oz. brown glass bottle houses the dark purple liquid. The bottles look good and while Maine Root is a smaller company, they are big enough that their operation is completely professional, as far as labeling and recycling/redemptions go.

The 12 fl. oz. bottle represents a single serving of Maine Root Blueberry Soda and it is very easy to drink it down in a single sitting!

Ease Of Preparation

Maine Root Blueberry Soda is a liquid in a brown 12 oz. bottle. Preparation is as easy as opening the bottle by popping the bottle cap off and drinking the liquid inside. I recommend refrigerating the bottle first as its full flavor potential is reached by having it cool.

Taste

The aroma of the blueberries effervesces forth from the bottle the moment one opens the bottle and allows it to breathe. The scent is distinctive and fruity and, for those who like such things, exceptionally inviting!

On the taste front, Maine Root Blueberry soda is not excessively carbonated. As a result, the moment the beverage touches the tongue, there is a moment where the flavor is obscured as the CO2 bubbles explode all over the tastebuds. In the wake of that, the flavor is sweet and quickly takes on the distinct flavor of blueberry. Those who love blueberries are bound to be impressed by the true blueberry flavor of the Maine Root Blueberry soda!

Nutrition

As a soda, one might expect this to have many unpronounceable ingredients. However, Maine Root Blueberry Soda is made of carbonated pure water, Fair Trade Certified organic cane juice, and spices. There are no unpronounceable ingredients in this and Maine Root seems committed to creating a uniquely-flavored beverage that is ethical in how it is produced as well as delicious. The company touts how the drink is caffeine free, but that is not at all a selling point for me.

Nutritionally, Maine Root Blueberry Soda is not enough to live off of, but it could be worse. Maine Root Blueberry Soda has a 40 grams of sugar. With 165 calories per serving, there are only 35 milligrams of sodium in this. Maine Root Blueberry Soda has no fat, nor any other nutrients.

Storage/Clean-up

Maine Root Blueberry Soda comes in a glass bottle and there is no clear expiration date on the bottle. There is a batch code printed on the bottom.

This drink is a dark purple color, so if it gets on light fabrics it will certainly stain them. Consult a care guide for your clothes, though I suspect even light clothes will be able to wash the soda right out. As well, the drink wipes off surfaces easily with a cloth, assuming they are impermeable.

Overall

Maine Root Blueberry Soda is delightful, but overpriced despite its good taste and quality ingredients, which seriously drags it down on my objective rating scale.

For other soda pop reviews, please check out my thoughts on:
Stewart's Orange 'n Cream Soda
Virgil's Black Cherry Cream Soda
Virgil’s All Natural Cream Soda

6.5/10

For other food and drink reviews, please visit my Food Review Index Page for a complete listing of all the foods I have reviewed!

© 2012 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.

| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment