Thursday, July 5, 2012

Worth It In A Pinch, 6 Hour Power Very Berry Energy Shots Worked!


The Good: Actually worked
The Bad: Tastes absolutely gross
The Basics: 6 Hour Power Very Berry actually kept me alive on my recent Michigan trip, so it’s impossible for me to complain about it.


I never expected to do an energy shot. Despite driving long distances a lot in my life, I had never even been tempted to buy one of the over-priced concentrated energy drinks that I see at gas stations everywhere. However, making a day trip to and from New York to Northern Michigan – which meant driving through two nights – I needed a boost. When I got to Michigan and found myself fading, I decided not to rely upon only coffee for a change. I picked up a two-pack (the Stacker 2) of 6 Hour Power Very Berry energy shots.

For the last three hours of my trip to Michigan – having been awake for more than 24 hours prior, the 6 Hour Power Very Berry actually worked.

Basics

6 Hour Power is a concentrated energy beverage, designed primarily for keeping people awake and alert, usually when they are on a long drive. 6 Hour Power Very Berry comes in a 2 fl. oz. plastic bottle that small and smooth. The #1 recyclable bottle is filled with the translucent pink liquid that is Very Berry 6 Hour Power. 6 Hour Power is produced by NVE Pharmaceuticals. The 2 oz. bottle is a single serving.

Ease Of Preparation

6 Hour Power is a liquid in a small 2 oz. bottle; preparation is as easy as opening a plastic bottle. 6 Hour Power has a plastic cap that easily twists off and can be put back on in order to reseal it.

Taste

6 Hour Power Very Berry actually smells very fruity. Opening the opaque bottle, one is greeted to a scent reminiscent of raspberries, apples and blackberries.

Unfortunately, it tastes like ass. The taste alone is enough to wake one up. While the first millisecond of its presence on the tongue might be vaguely reminiscent of berries, it almost instantly transforms in the mouth to a taste that it bitter and sour and in every way disgusting. It leaves a dry, acidic aftertaste and it is foul. Easily one of the worst tasting things I have ever put in my mouth.

Nutrition

As an energy drink, 6 Hour Power Very Berry is designed to provide an energy boost by pumping the consumer full of B vitamins and enzymes that break down fat into simple carbohydrates. While it claims to energize for six hours, I found that it kept me awake and alert for three hours before I could have fallen asleep (if I wanted to).

Nutritionally, 6 Hour Power Very Berry is terrible. It is primarily composed of filtered water, the energy blend (proprietary), Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12. It contains no fruit juice, so it is unsurprising that the flavor is so weak on berry taste. It has no fat and no carbs. Still, there is 10 mg of sodium in each serving. There is also 8333% of the RDA of Vitamin B12 and 2000% of Vitamin B6!

Storage/Clean-up

6 Hour Power Very Berry comes in a plastic bottle and it keeps for quite a while. The two-pack I bought last week had an expiration date of March 14, 2016. Stored in a cool place, it ought to be fine at least until its expiration date (whatwith it being mostly vitamins).

This drink is a clear pink color, but if it gets on light fabrics it might stain them. Consult a care guide for your clothes, though I suspect only the lightest clothes would need bleach to get this out. Still, the drink wipes off surfaces easily with a cloth, assuming they are impermeable.

Overall

6 Hour Power Very Berry energy shots might not last a full six hours, but it did keep me awake at least three hours needed to get safely where I was going. That more than made it worth the $3.99 for two, though I would never recommend using these drinks in any sort of continual fashion.

For other energy drinks, please check out my reviews of:
Celestial Seasonings Fast Lane Tea
The Simpsons Flaming Moe Energy Drink
Powerade Fruit Punch

6/10

For other food reviews, please visit my index page for a complete listing by clicking here!

© 2012 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment