Thursday, March 22, 2012

Returning To The Treats Of My Young Adulthood: Tostitos Hint Of Lime Chips Still Satisfy!


The Good: Tastes great, Not unhealthy
The Bad: I like these too much to gripe about anything about them!
The Basics: Hint Of Lime Tostitos remain one of the most intriguing flavors for a salty snack ever made and are still worth enjoying!


Not too long ago, I tried the Tostitos Hint Of Pepper Jack chips (reviewed here!). I did everything I could to not simply compare those more erratic chips to the Hint Of Lime Tostitos that I loved in college and afterward. So, figuring that I ought to review the standard to which I hold all tortilla snacks, I picked up a bag of Tostitos Hint Of Lime chips. While I have been eating much, much healthier of late, I splurged on the Hint Of Lime chips because I wanted to be sure that the snack was as good (at least) as I remembered them being.

Fortunately, they were. Tostitos Hint Of Lime tortilla chips still have one of the most intriguing flavors I have ever tasted and it still excites my tastebuds!

Basics

Hint Of Lime Tostitos, for those who are not familiar with them, are tortilla chips. Frito-Lay has marketed their Tostitos chip line as an alternative to Doritos for over a decade now and in the last several years, they have started adding flavors to them. The Hint Of Lime Tostitos feature a dusting of Lime-flavored salt on the chips. The chips look like regular tortilla, white corn, chips and the dusting of flavor is almost invisible. That makes it very different from Doritos, which are colored and obviously flavored.

Hint Of Lime Tostitos come in various sizes, but always in a bag. The standard size bag that I have found is 13 oz. The chips are triangular and approximately 2 3/4" by 3" by 4 1/4". Most of them are slightly curved.

Ease Of Preparation

Tostitos Hint Of Lime are simple to enjoy; all you need do it open the bag and remove the chips from it! There is no trick to eating Hint Of Lime Tostitos; they are a snack that is ready to go from the bag to the mouth.

Taste

Hint Of Lime Tostitos smell like warm corn and cool lime the moment one opens the bag. The aroma prepares the consumer exceptionally well for what they will find inside; these white corn chips with lime scent smell much like they taste.

On the tongue, the Hint Of Lime chips sparkle. This is the most intriguing flavor for a salty snack that I have ever consumed. The flavor of the chip is dry and subtle initially, exactly like what one expects from a corn chip. They are, perhaps, a little less salty than a younger version of myself might have liked but by the time a chip gets midway over my tongue there is a flavor explosion. Sour, with a faint hint of sweetness, the Hint Of Lime chips suddenly taste like lime was squeezed on the chips and then they were salted. I liken the flavor to a tortilla chip dipped in Sprite and then dried. The flavor is that intriguing and precisely esoteric.

Nutrition

Hint Of Lime Tostitos are a surprisingly natural snack, with no preservatives. Given that the ingredients are mostly whole white corn, vegetable oil and maltodextrin, it might surprise salty snack eaters to learn how generally good these chips are. These have a shelf life of approximately one year, so it's not a bad snack to stock up on.

Each one ounce serving of Tostitos Hint Of Lime has 150 calories, seventy of which come from fat. There are also 2 grams of dietary fiber. While there are 7 grams of fat and 2 grams of protein, there is only 125 mg of sodium, which represents 5% of one's RDA of sodium. There is a smattering of Calcium and Iron, but no vitamins, including Vitamin C (which surprised me). There is a dietary note that the Hint Of Lime includes milk ingredients, which prevents them from being Vegan compliant at the very least.

Storage/Clean-up

Kept in their bag, Hint Of Lime Tostitos will remain fresh for a year and as long as the bag is resealed, one suspects they will last for a few weeks before getting stale. I've never had to deal with issues of freshness for my Hint Of Lime Tostitos.

Cleanup is simple as well. Hint Of Lime Tostitos are a dry food and thus leave no mess behind. Because they are very flavored, though, it is entirely probable that they will leave lime salt on one’s hands. Simply wash your hands, throw out the bag and cleanup is done!

Overall

Hint Of Lime Tostitos are, hands down, the best salty snack on the market today. In fact, in the last decade, nothing has come along to top them!

For other snack foods, check out my reviews of:
Special K Southwest Ranch Cracker Chips
Kellogg’s Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts
Planters Crème Brule Almonds

10/10

For other food and drink reviews, please click here to visit my index page!

© 2012 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment