Monday, February 6, 2012

Delicious, But Not Indispensible, Peeled Organic’s Pine-4-Pineapple Is A Tough Sell Next To Fresh Pineapple.


The Good: Very nutritious, Good flavor, Decent shelf life for an organic product.
The Bad: Comparatively expensive
The Basics: Pine-4-Pineapple fruit snacks are very good, but not the best rendition of pineapple on the market, though it might be the healthiest dried pineapple!


I am very happy to say that with my last paycheck, I decided to spend some money on more Peeled Organic fruit snacks. But, as I sat down to consider the Pine-4-Pineapple fruit snacks that arrived in last night’s mail, I came to realize that this flavor was a bit of a tougher sell than I would have liked. I love pineapple, so – if anything – I was biased in favor of Pine-4-Pineapple. So, when I began to think about how much I love pineapple and how I was not bowled over by the Pine-4-Pineapple, I began to think about how fresh pineapple is frequently less expensive than Pine-4-Pineapple and that when I have fresh pineapple around, it seldom goes bad. In other words, for less money, I could eat the real thing.

But, I couldn’t eat it with my hands and Pine-4-Pineapple is a bit more portable, which is nice. I suppose with this dried fruit, we’re paying more for convenience than for the fruit tasting precisely like it is supposed to. That is a bit of a bummer for me, but not enough to sink this healthy snack in my mind (or rating!).

Basics

Peeled Organic is a relatively new fruit snack company that is doing good work for both the environment and personal health. Using no preservatives, Peeled Organic strives to present the healthiest possible dried fruit to customers and, as the name suggests, does so using organic farming methods.

Pine-4-Pineapple is just as the title suggests; a bag of dehydrated organic pineapples! The dehydrated fruit chunks are supple, not hard. They are also not covered in a coating of sugar, wax and/or preservatives. The Pine-4-Pineapple fruit snacks comes in a 1.48 oz. stiff plastic bag that is not resealable.

Ease Of Preparation

Pine-4-Pineapple fruit packs are simple to use. Simply open the bag and remove the fruit from it! There is no trick to eating Pine-4-Pineapple; they are a snack that is ready to go from the bag to the mouth.

Taste

I was actually surprised by how mild the Pine-4-Pineapple fruit picks smelled. On their own in their plastic bag, there was remarkably little aroma from the fruit. Instead, these have a vaguely fruity scent only when they are out and reach room temperature.

However, the moment the Pine-4-Pineapple pineapples hit the tongue, they break out with a great deal of flavor. These treats taste dry initially and many will be surprised by how they are not especially sweet to begin with. That changes, however, as the fruit slice lingers on the tongue. While it remains, the flavor goes from simply dry to slightly tart and then fruity and sweet as a pure embodiment of pineapple. Pine-4-Pineapple leaves no aftertaste, but I did find my mouth was very dry after eating a pack of this fruit.

Nutrition

Pine-4-Pineapple organic dried fruits are an all-natural snack, with no preservatives or added sugar. Given that the ingredient is organic pineapples, there is nothing hiding in them that will surprise consumers. These have a shelf life of about nine months, so they are not bad for stocking up on if you eat a lot of fruit. The package we got on the last day of January (2012) expires on October 5, 2012 (or it would have had I not eaten them all up!).

Each 42 gram serving of Pine-4-Pineapple has 140 calories, none of which come from fat. There is a single gram of dietary fiber. Outside that, there are no significant nutrients in a serving, though there is 2% of one’s RDA of Calcium, 4% RDA of Iron and 10% Vitamin C. They are gluten free and were packaged in a facility that processes nuts, dairy, wheat and soy, so those with applicable allergies ought to keep that in mind.

Storage/Clean-up

Kept in their bag, Pine-4-Pineapple will remain fresh for almost a year and as long as the bag is sealed, one suspects they will last that long anyway. Because I only got enough to review, I am not worried about keeping these fresh! They come in, they go right back out!

Cleanup is simple as well. Pine-4-Pineapple dried fruits are a dry food and thus leave no mess behind. Simply toss out the plastic bag and cleanup is done! I would, naturally, be happier if there was a way to recycle these plastic bags.

Overall

Pine-4-Pineapple is a good, basic dried fruit snack that does not quite live up to the potential of its namesake. It tastes mostly like pineapple, but it does so without any zest, making it a much tougher recommendation than I would have thought.

For other Peeled Organic fruit snack reviews, check out my reviews of:
Apricot-a-lot
Much-Ado-About-Mango
Paradise Found

7/10

For other food and drink reviews, please click here to visit my index page!

© 2012 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment