Thursday, June 9, 2011

Not Bad Tchaikovsky, But . . . Karajan Gold Doesn't Sell Me On It!




The Good: Excellent sound, Good musical pieces
The Bad: Unbalanced orchestral sound on several tracks, Poor mix in the overall album
The Basics: Excellent sound quality doesn't make up for a poor mix and sad orchestra. If you must, listen to only one half of it.


First off, I'm not sure how much Tchaikovsky I've heard in the past before this recording; I have a habit of hearing much classical music but not knowing who I am listening to at the time. So, this review is less a critique of Tchaikovsky than this specific recording of Tchaikovsky.

The album, which I've listened to eight times now, is relatively short; nine tracks, 44 minutes. If you're read my other reviews, you'll know I like long albums. Musical cds can hold up to 75 minutes of music and the closer an artist (or in this case, a label) comes to filling the entire disc, the more I feel I've gotten my money's worth. In this case, even with my limited knowledge of Tchaikovsky, I know there was more that could have been on this album.

The focus of the album is the "Romeo and Juliet Suite" which is pretty fantastic. The music is slow and subtle often, like the tenuous touches of love. There is much in the way of light strings and soft woodwinds in the primary suite, raising to deeper tones as appropriate for the struggles between the Montagues and Capulets. The "Romeo and Juliet Suite" works perfectly for what it is supposed to be of.

The problematic aspect of the album is it is not only the one suite. The other half of the album is the Nutcracker ballet. All eight movements. The problem is the two pieces don't jive well. While I'm all for diversity on albums, this one doesn't work. Comparing the rousing, sensual "Romeo and Juliet Suite" to the Danse russe Trepak movement of the Nutcracker Suite is just awful. That track (track #5) is the song you'd probably recognize as the song in the Beef commercials on television. It's a rousing, energetic dance. And it's entirely discongrous and unsettling to hear.

The two works, separate, are fine. Together. Yuck.

The strength of the album is in the sound. The literal sound. The quality is extraordinarily high and the liner notes belabor the process, explaining exactly how such amazing sound quality was achieved. That aspect of the album works. What doesn't is the orchestra performing these pieces. The sound is captured perfectly, but the instruments employed do not lend to the full power of the notes.

So, Tchaikovsky, good, this recording, not so much. I know there have to be better Tchaikovsky compilations than this, ones that use a more complete orchestra and do not put two such unbalanced pieces back to back. Sounds good in quality, not in orchestral sound.

For other Classical music reviews, please check out my takes on:
Pictures At An Exhibition and Night On Bald Mountain - Mussogrsky
Greatest Hits - Chopin
String Quartets - Op. 18 - Beethoven

4.5/10

For other music reviews, please visit my index page on the subject by clicking here!

© 2011, 2002 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.


| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment