Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Lighter Alternative To Mousse: Sunsilk De-Frizz 24/7 Creme Is Worthwhile!




The Good: Smells fine, Effectively removes frizz from hair, Nourishes hair well, Washes out easily
The Bad: A little expensive
The Basics: Despite being utterly inessential, Sunsilk De-Frizz 24/7 Creme keeps hair looking great while keeping it healthy!


I suppose there are four stages to the life of my hair in my life thus far. When I was born, I was ignorant of hair care, in my youth, I heavily styled my hair (yes, in the '80's I used a period-appropriate amount of mousse), from middle school on I was apathetic to hair care (though I did use Freeman Botanicals for a while to spoil my hair), and now the Renaissance for my hair where I actually bother to take care of my hair. Having a partner who actually cares about such things, I now work to maintain my hair with daily care and conditioning, as well as regular trimming of split ends. Well, as part of my Hair Renaissance, I've been exploring products which have taken the place of mousse. The foremost product for this that I have discovered so far is Sunsilk De-Frizz 24/7 Creme.

After getting a sample of this years ago at a business show and using this while I was campaigning for Congress to make my hair look presentable, I decided to bite the bullet and invest in the full 7 oz. bottle. Getting married inspired me to use this product again and having neat and presentable hair when we go out makes my partner very happy. For a seven ounce bottle of the 24/7 Creme, I shelled out $3.55 and because I use it so infrequently, I imagine this will last at least a year.

This haircare product is not like a rinsing conditioner which one uses in the shower and washes out and it is not exactly like a mousse which holds hair solid and does not do anything else for the user. In addition to holding hair in place (mildly) this also has conditioning properties and it works well for both. This is like a leave-in conditioner as well as a styling product.

The principle of the De-Frizz 24/7 Creme is simple: after hair is rinsed, either wet or dry, you use a dollop of creme and it continues to work to condition hair as well as hold it in place. De-Frizz 24/7 Creme comes in a soft plastic bottle that is opaque and green. The 7 fl. oz. container includes a pull spout, like the style used on most dishwashing liquids. The actual product is a remarkably thick cream, which is opaque and white and has about the same consistency as normal hair conditioner. The De-Frizz 24/7 Creme is easily dispensed by pulling open the top and squeezing out a portion of the conditioner.

De-Frizz 24/7 Creme is very thick and it takes very little to spread it into hair. I have very long hair (over a foot long throughout) and it takes less than a quarter-sized dollop of De-Frizz 24/7 Creme to get through my entire head of hair. When I use it, though, I concentrate it on the top of my head, where shorter hairs often stand frizzled looking like loose ends to my head when I have the rest of my hair in a tight ponytail. After simply spreading the creme on my hair, all those loose ends stay down, matted into the hair properly. The fundamental difference between this and mousse is the hair stays supple; it does not become crispy and when one moves, the hair moves naturally, it just bounces back to a position that is more kempt than scraggly.

As for its effectiveness, the De-Frizz 24/7 Creme is entirely effective. This product works as if it were a conditioning mousse for the hair. My hair has been well-conditioned and easily managed since the last time my partner cut my hair and that is in part because this has Aloe-E which helps to condition hair. Even using no more than the usual quarter-sized droplet a week as part of my regiment (we don't go out very much), my hair has been manageable and well-nourished. This is a product that works well and does what it promises.

As well, when one is done using the 24/7 Creme, it washes out very easily. Not actually as drawback, the De-Frizz 24/7 Creme has a faint odor when it comes out of the container. This scent is very hard to describe, but it is something between vaguely fruity and slightly fruity. Regardless of how the product smells coming out of the container, it does not leave a residual smell in the hair for more than an hour, so this is a good product for those who need to work in environments where no strong scents are allowed. Even while the product works for up to ten hours (in my experience), the scent does not linger more than an hour.

De-Frizz 24/7 Creme restores slightly dry or damaged hair, while holding it in place. As well, use does seem to prevent my hair from getting drier and brittle. Throughout the summer and this autumn, my hair remained wonderfully manageable and has not gotten brittle or broken as a result of using this product.

The ingredient list in De-Frizz 24/7 Creme reads like a list of chemicals Homeland Security wants banned, outside the first ingredient (water). Wonderfully, the product is cone-free, though it does not have organic or botanical ingredients, for those who are into all-natural products.

That said, this is a hair care product which fulfills its promise, managing to impress even those of us who haven't used styling products since the late-80's and who generally do not care to impress others with the state of their hair.

For other conditioning products, please check out my reviews of:
Tigi Curl's Rock Leave-In Moisturizer
Suave Fresh Mountain Strawberry conditioner
VO5 Split-Ends conditioner

8/10

For other health and beauty product reviews, please visit my index page on the subject!

© 2011, 2009 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.




| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment