Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Gollum Is Thrilled By Whiskas All Natural Temptations Yellow Fin Tuna Flavored Cat Treats!


The Good: Relatively inexpensive, My cat loves these, It has helped to maintain my cat's dental health
The Bad: Small package
The Basics: Yellow Fin Tuna flavored Whiskas All Natural Temptations have helped get Gollum excited and active once again!


For those who have not caught my most recent pet reviews, my cat Gollum has been rather finicky of late. He meows a lot and he hides from Myah, our four year-old Siberian Husky. While we occasionally find them playing with one another and Gollum is nowhere near as afraid of Myah as he once was, he is still pretty shy at times. We have lessened his shyness through new toys, like the Hartz Angry Birds cat toy (reviewed here!), and through a few new treats. The latest one that has actually helped Gollum be more social is Whiskas All Natural Temptations Yellow Fin Tuna flavor cat treats.

Whiskas All Natural Temptations come in a variety of flavors and we picked up the Yellow Fin Tuna flavor because Gollum loves all things tuna . . . and we had a coupon. The environmentally protective person within me acknowledges that the small plastic bag is not the best for the environment, but it does keep these treats fresh.

Gollum started young on tartar control treats and as a result, he never developed bad breath and the only treats my boys get are ones that have the health benefit of being tartar control. While Whiskas All Natural Temptations Yellow Fin Tuna cat treats do not make the claim to be tartar control, they are very hard and, at the very least, physically scrape tartar and plaque from Gollum’s teeth when he eats them. His breath has gotten no worse since he started having these treats. So, for $1.75, being able to avoid a teeth cleaning for my cat that would cost hundreds of dollars seemed like a good idea to me!

After a pouch of Whiskas All Natural Temptations, I can say with some authority that the Whiskas All Natural Temptations treats seem to be working well as a preventative measure by effectively keeping tartar from building up on my cats' teeth. Whiskas All Natural Temptations cat treats are crunchy little treats that come in various flavors, including chicken, salmon and tuna. The Yellow Fin Tuna flavored treats are shaped 1/2" squares that are 1/4” thick and slightly rounded like little pillows. These cat treats are brown and firm and when they are broken open, there is a thin layer of tuna inside.

Whiskas All Natural Temptations treats are available only in the stiff-plastic pouches which make it easy to tell if they have been tampered with. Each plastic pouch is vacuum sealed and has a aqua-colored bag which is very recognizable and protects the treats inside well. The stiff plastic creates a loud, recognizable crinkling sound that brings cats to it right away (I still call out to my cat with the question "Who wants treats?" whenever dispensing this as a treat). Sadly, there are other food products (like vacuum-sealed dinners) that come in similar pouches and when opening them, one's cats are likely to descend, eager for a treat. Whiskas took a lesson from the makers of Pounce when making the All Natural Temptations.

The truth is, though, I'm a somewhat lazy cat owner. My cats keep me moving around to play fetch and keep the litter box immaculately cleaned, I'm often too busy (or forgetful) to give them treats every day like they insist they deserve. What I've begun to do is mix the treats in with the catfood, so the cats get the treats like Lucky Charms marshmallows in their dinner. The package makes no recommendations for how many treats a cat gets each day, though it does warn that Tasty Tidbits are intended as supplemental food, as opposed to actual meals for cats. So, my mixing them into the regular cat food seems like a good idea and my boys get five to ten treats that way each day.

Mixing the treats into the food makes a package last about two weeks with my cats. I tend to keep one pouch for use as treats (they get treat time an average of once every other day) and I mix the rest into their food when I jar it up. I jar all of my cat food up to keep the potential mouse population at bay (mice like Whiskas All Natural Temptations treats as well). These treats have a decent shelf life in comparison to other cat treats. The package which I picked up in mid-January has a March 2013 expiration date!

I refuse to taste sample this treat myself to determine whether or not they taste like what they are supposed to. Gollum like them and keeps coming back for them. In fact, when I put out three piles of treats recently, Gollum showed a strong preference for the Yellow Fin Tuna flavor treats over the other cat treats.

The Yellow Fin Tuna flavored Whiskas All Natural Temptations are made up primarily of chicken meal, ground corn and animal fat before the ingredient list turns into odd things like dried meat by-products, rice and wheat flower. Gollum enjoys these as a treat and his health has not changed since we started using the Whiskas All Natural Temptations. The Yellow Fin Tuna flavored treats contain at least 30% crude protein, 17% crude fat and less than 4.5% crude fiber and 12% moisture. These are not a bad food for my cat.

All in all, the Yellow Fin Tuna flavored cat treats from Whiskas All Natural Temptations are good and worth picking up, but still make me wish they were explicitly tartar control. Gollum, on the other hand, seems to think they are the bee’s knees and taste delicious regardless of the health benefits!

For other cat treats, please check out my reviews of:
Pounce Moist Cat Treats
Zukes Natural Purrz Tender Chicken
Feline Greenies Oven Roasted Chicken

7.5/10

For other animal product reviews, please visit my index page by clicking here!

© 2012 W.L. Swarts. May not be reprinted without permission.
| | |

No comments:

Post a Comment